The PNA and the Bed Hold in Mass. are both safe for fiscal year 2017. All nursing and rest home residents should have the PNA at $ 72.80 per month. The medical leave will again be up to 20 days per episode and the non-medical leave will be 10 days per year. Recently, an observation day in the hospital has been equivalent to a hospital admission and would then count towards eligibility for nursing home care. That language continues this year.
- ELDER BEHAVIORAL HEALTH FUNDING(EBH)
posted Aug 18, 2016, 3:28 PM by Frank Baskin [ updated Aug 25, 2016}
The Mass legislature passed funding for EBH and also overrode the Governor's veto. Our Coalition(MAMHC) spoke with State officials to discuss how to implement and were informed that the Governor would not"authorize" funding as he concluded the budget was not in balance. Efforts are in process within the legislature to address this situation. The budget must be balanced but there are differences between the legislature and the administration in determining if it is balanced or not. We are working with members of the legislature about how to resolve this concern. There is also a possibility that this might end up with 9-C cuts(from which there is little or no recourse). We will keep you up to date.
PNA/BED HOLD for Fiscal 2016 Each of these items are included in the 2016 budget with no changes. All nursing/rest home residents in Mass can feel safe that these benefits are in place. The ...
Posted Aug 24, 2015, 12:40 PM by Frank Baskin
- Mass Senate 2016 Budget Please contact your Mass State Senator asap to support the following in the Senate 2016 budget: 1. Senator L'Italien's amendment to enable elders(who fall below 300 % poverty ...CLICK TITLE FOR MORE
Posted May 15, 2015, 5:48 AM by Frank Baskin
- Older Adult Behavioral Health(Formerly Geriatric Mental Health) A supplemental budget will be used to fund this and other BIP projects. A number of State agencies have approached the Mass State legislature and they have agreed to place ... CLICK TITLE FOR MORE
Posted May 14, 2015, 6:19 AM by Frank Baskin
- Geriatric Mental Health Funding Application was made to use funds in Mass from the Federal government for geriatric mental health services.Projects must balance the funds in community care versus institutional care. Older Adult ... CLICK TITLE FOR MORE
Posted Apr 28, 2015, 2:27 PM by Frank Baskin
- Informed Consent The Mass legislature passed a statue about informed consent for psycho-tropic medications. It requires that anyone in a nursing or rest homewho receives a psycho-tropic medication should ... CLICK TITLE FOR MORE
Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:11 PM by Frank Baskin
- UPDATE ON MEDICAL LEAVES Medical Leaves of 20 days per episode are allowed in Mass nursing homes as of 9/1/2014.This was increased from 10 days per episode ...CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
Posted May 15, 2015, 5:26 AM by Frank Baskin
- Massachusetts 2015 Budget The results for this budget are: Elder Mental Health - no funding;Bed Hold- Maintained and medical leave increased to 20 days per episode.Non-medical leave...CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:06 AM by Frank Baskin
- MASS 2015 BUDGET GOES TO GOVERNOR This budget increases days for medical leave(20) and keeps the PNA in place. It also requires written consent for the use of psycho-tropic.meds.... CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ..
Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:36 PM by Frank Baskin
- Mass House/Senate 2015 Budget Geriatric Mental Health was not funded in either House. The bed hold was funded in the Senate and the PNA in each House. Conference Committee will ...CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
To View Previous Mass Public Policy Updates please click here.
Public Policy Issues
JIMMO STANDARD NOT BEING IMPLEMENTED There is some evidence that the Medicare established eligibility standards for skilled care are not being followed. These were effective as of January, 2014. Beneficaries......FOR MORE CLICK TITLE... no ...
Posted May 15, 2015, 5:51 AM by Frank Baskin
NEW MEDICARE STANDARD FOR SKILLED CARE Medicare has established a new standard for community and nursing home skilled care. Maintaining current level of care or preventing deterioration are now standards along.....PLEASE CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:31 AM by Frank Baskin
Posted Dec 5, 2013, 11:26 AM by Frank Baskin
Anti-Psychotic Medication Use/Misuse Misuse of Antipsychotic Drugs in Nursing Homes: Are We Making Any Progress? The recent settlement of criminal and civil charges against Johnson & Johnson for off label....FOR MORE CLICK TITLE ...
Posted Nov 15, 2013, 7:26 AM by Frank Baskin
- HEALTH CARE LAW MARKETPLACES Each state will set up market places where consumers can purchase health insurance as required by federal law. Below is a Q & A by Kaiser Health ...FOR MORE CLICK TITLE ...
Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:19 AM by Frank Baskin
- Hospital Observation Status and CMS CMS Invites Public Comment on Observation Status As part of a notice of proposed rulemaking published in the Federal RegisAs part ter on March 18, 2013 CMS is ....FOR ...
Posted May 15, 2015, 5:53 AM by Frank Baskin
- President's 2014 Budget/Medicare and Social Security The President is proposing a budget which will impact Medicare and Social Security. Medicare A and B may be combined and Social Security would .be determined ..CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
Posted Nov 18, 2013, 12:26 PM by Frank Baskin
- CLASS ACT(LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE) The President and Congress dealt with the fiscal cliff on 1/1. In the process they took the CLASS act out of the budget and.the....FOR MORE CLICK TITLE ...
Posted Jan 9, 2013, 8:26 AM by Frank Baskin
- MEDICARE AND SKILLED CARE CMS(Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) has agreed to change its eligibility rules for those who need skilled nursing home and also in-home and ...CLICK TITLE FOR MORE ...
Posted Oct 25, 2012, 6:17 AM by Frank Baskin
To View Previous Federal Public Policy Updates please click here.